›27th Workshop on Space Technology for Socio-Economic Benefits
The United Nations, through its Programme on Space Applications implemented by the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs, and the International Astronautical Federation (IAF) are co-organizing the Workshop on Space Technology for Socio-Economic Benefits on the theme "Ensuring inclusiveness through space-based applications and space exploration" to provide space emerging countries with capacity building opportunities in using space science, technologies, applications and exploration in support of sustainable economic, social and environmental development and on the role of industry.
The Workshop will be held in Washington DC, USA, from 18 to 20 October 2019 in conjunction with the 70 th International Astronautical Congress (IAC), and it will be the 27 th in a series of such workshops.
The Workshop will facilitate exchanges on space science, technologies, applications and exploration in support of economic, social and environmental development with a focus on inclusiveness as an underlying factor in sustainable development. It will provide opportunities for space emerging countries to perceive space as contributor to inclusive growth of countries, especially as a catalyst in empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality. Considering the direct and/or indirect relevance of space to all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the workshop will address the specific elements of SDG 4 (quality education), SDG 8 (decent work and economic growth), SDG 10 (reduced inequalities), SDG 13 (climate action) and SDG 16 (peace, justice and strong institutions), in addition to SDG 17 (partnerships for the Goals). The Workshop will serve as a platform to ensure inclusive development in the areas of space technologies taking people, students, private sectors, researchers, academia, innovators and other actors on board in bringing benefits of space to the end users.
The main objectives of the Workshop are to:
- Provide insight on how space applications contribute to empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality;
- Demonstrate success stories of space applications for SDGs with focus on inclusiveness and equality;
- Promote and discuss inclusiveness on space exploration;
- Raise awareness on the efforts of the international space community on how space exploration and innovations can trigger inclusiveness through new partnerships involving space emerging nations and industries; and
- Bring together policy- and decision-makers, and the research and academic communities to help integrate space into policy and the decision-making process.
- Presentations made during the Workshop will be published on the website of the Office for Outer Space Affairs to increase awareness about the capabilities and benefits of space technology applications. The report of the Workshop and its recommendations will be distributed to the participants and the space technology user community.
Tweets by spaceagenda