Brace yourself, Garage48 in cooperation with Copernicus are excited to invite you to work with an ocean of data without getting your feet wet! This OceanHack will be our anniversary event - already for the 5th time at Garage48 we are taking space data in order to create or add new features to solutions - this time it will be all about marine data.
Copernicus OceanHack is funded by the EU’s Copernicus Programme and has been organised through a partnership of EUMETSAT, the Copernicus Marine Environment Service, and the Estonian Environment Agency.
The event is a one-of-a-kind gathering of data scientists, web/app developers, UX and UI designers, visionaries/space enthusiasts, marketing wizards and business developers, project managers and field experts to create solutions to problems that currently affect the Baltic Sea, and beyond to help people in their daily lives in this beautiful region.
OceanHack is for ready made teams with ideas. Get your team together and ready to hack by 10/11/2019. We will support your team formation during a pre-event which will be held at the end of October (TBA). If you already have a team ready before that, then please fill out this application that can be found here: https://garage48.typeform.com/to/VRHzVJ
The ideas and teams that get accepted to the hackathon, will get to work in the Garage48 proven prototyping format and with international mentors to bring their ideas into life.
Join the event in Facebook for all the latest updates: https://www.facebook.com/events/532328210929889/
The Baltic Sea region is home to more than 85 million people (of whom 15 million live on the coast) and is one of the most intensively used seas on the planet. Whether it is shipping, fishing, energy cables and pipelines, or tourism and recreation, all these activities have an impact on the unique Baltic Sea region.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR
Your challenge is to create solutions to problems that currently affect the Baltic Sea, and beyond, and help people in their daily lives in this beautiful region. To solve this challenge you are encouraged to use the wealth of newly-available Copernicus marine data which is all open access and ready for you to use.
Various approaches are welcome: create new solutions or add ocean-smart features to existing solutions. Propose innovative data visualisations for academic purposes or for raising awareness around the Baltic Sea environment and beyond. Mobile, web apps, platforms - it’s your call! We would particularly welcome imaginative projects using artificial intelligence or machine learning approaches. The best solutions will be awarded with cash prizes up to 8000€!
IDEAS TO GET YOU STARTED
- Education apps that bring the oceans to life
- Water quality – new intelligence on algal blooms
- Traffic and navigation – improve ship routing or monitor pollution e.g. oil or ballast waste?
- Green energy – use Earth observation data to find wave or wind energy hot spots.
- Research: data visualisations, new ways of combining different types of data, new data analysis models
- Warnings – develop new ways of communicating weather warnings to ocean users?
- Baltic Sea fish stocks – track fish hotspots or fishing activity?
- Marine productivity assessment - near fish farms
- Sea ice – new ways of keeping an eye on the formation and extent of sea ice
- Flood mapping
- Identify plastic pollution hotspots
- Internet of Things (IOT) and combinations of ground sensors to networks
WHAT IS SAID
#OCEANHACK # G48SPACETECH # G48TALLINN
More info on this website!
Track this event on your google calendar