›#LaunchAmerica Mission #NASASocial
Join the First Global Virtual NASA Social to Experience the #LaunchAmerica Mission
As we prepare for SpaceX’s first crewed test flight for NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, and the first time we’ve launched American astronauts to the International Space Station from American soil since the end of the space shuttle era in 2011, we are inviting the public to come along for the ride — virtually.
On Wednesday, May 27, 4:33 p.m. EDT, NASA’s SpaceX Demo-2 mission will launch from Launch Complex 39A at agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket will launch Crew Dragon, with NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley aboard the spacecraft. It is the final test flight of the system before SpaceX is certified to carry out operational crew flights to and from the International Space Station for NASA.
While we cannot invite the public onsite for one of our usual NASA Social events because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are excited to present an opportunity for people of all ages from all over the world to participate in. This will be our very first global virtual NASA Social.
The #LaunchAmerica NASA Social is taking the form of a Facebook group that any social media user can request permission to join by answering a few simple questions and agreeing to adhere to the guidelines of the group.
NASA Social participants will have the opportunity to:
- Connect virtually with a community of people excited about the #LaunchAmerica mission
- Receive a NASA Social badge that you can share online or print out at home
- Virtually tour NASA facilities at Kennedy Space Center
- Interact with NASA representatives in real time.
- Virtually view a launch of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket
NASA Social registration for the Crew Dragon launch opens on Facebook on May 13. All social applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Virtual tours will begin two days prior to the launch (May 25 to May 27).
Not on Facebook but still interested in joining?
There are lots of ways that you can participate in the #LaunchAmerica mission!
- Watch the launch and all pre-launch activities on NASA TV, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn
- Share reasons you are excited for the launch on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #LaunchAmerica for a chance to be shared on our social media channels