›Cornwall Space: Enabling Commercial Satellite Launches & Space Tourism
This is a 3-day CPD course designed to provide attendees with knowledge about spaceflight activities by Virgin Orbit and Virgin Galactic at Spaceport Cornwall and the role that Goonhilly Earth Station provides in the process. This course aims to be a steppingstone in addressing the skills gap in the UK space launch industry, and aims to encourage those in the space sector, other sectors, and undergraduates in Cornwall and further afield, to be part of the exciting emerging industry in the UK.
The objectives of the CPD are to provide an insight into the specific activities associated with spaceports, spaceflight operators (Virgin Orbit) and the operating ‘Range’ that are required to meet the Regulations. The CPD will take place at Truro and Penwith College and other locations around Cornwall.
Who is it for?
This bespoke CPD course is designed for anyone involved in, or hoping to become involved in, the exciting and emerging commercial space launch industry. Although the focus is on horizontal launch from Spaceport Cornwall, it will also include the wider market of UK vertical launch and regulations. This course will also be relevant for others around the world with an interest in spaceports and launch operations.
The CPD course is intended for the following:
- Academics, undergraduate, and postgraduate students wanting to move into the sector
- Spaceport personnel including operators and range control
- Government personnel including the UK Space Agency, UK Civil Aviation Authority, and UK Health & Safety Executive personnel
- Local councils and enterprises who are working with spaceports in their region
- Satellite manufacturers, suppliers, brokers, and consultants
- Those in related industries wanting to move into the sector
- And anyone with an interest in space launch and operations!
The course will be delivered by Dr Andy Quinn, who has been consulting for Reaction Engines, spaceports, and operators including B2 Space and the CAA/UKSA studies since 2012, as well as lecturing on MSc Programmes at City University since 2015.
More speakers will be confirmed closer to the date.
Course costs TBC. For individuals and SMEs within Cornwall, a limited number of fully-funded places will be available.Tweets by spaceagenda